June was a busy month for my ongoing development work on OpenStreetMap.
The highlight of the month for me was that we wrapped up the project to move GPX upload processing to the built-in job queue system. This means that we can run the GPX processing jobs in parallel, and spread the tasks between different machines instead of than being limited to one process on one machine. This makes it much less likely that your uploaded trace will get stuck at the back of a queue.
It also means that the notification emails that you receive will be translated into your preferred language; it makes it much easier to test the processing or add new features; and we can get rid of some old code that nobody was looking after.
The key piece of work to get this released was being able to create the trace animations from within our ruby code. mmd-osm worked with the developer of the gd2-ffij rubygem to add support for animated gifs. That was the last piece of the puzzle, and when a new version of the gem was released, we were good to go.
Towards the end of the month I developed a new ‘api/versions’ API call. This allows applications an easier way to find out what versions of the API the server supports, rather than using the unversioned ‘api/capabilites’ call (the ‘api/0.6/capabilities’ call is what applications should use for checking capabilities, since the capabilities could change between different API versions in future). It seems almost completely unimportant at the moment, since we’ve been on version 0.6 for over 10 years now, but it’s solving another piece of the jigsaw that will allow us to run version 0.7 (and perhaps future versions) alongside an existing API version, which we’ve never done before. There’ll be more work from me to support API 0.7 over the next few months.
Internationalisation (i18n) is a topic that I keep working on, since we’ve got thousands of mappers who don’t speak English, and problems with the i18n system can be really jarring for them when using the site. One feature we use all over the place is describing things that occurred in the past, and previously it wasn’t possible to accurate translate times like “3 days ago” into all languages. I’ve now added a mechanism to make this possible, and it’s a solution that I might take upstream for wider use in other rails projects.
I also rolled up my sleeves and tackled some of the endless and thankless issue pruning! We still have over 450 open requests between two different issue trackers. Some of the issues are important, but are lost in the pile. But many are feature requests that are either quite niche, or ideas that seem reasonable but that realistically we aren’t likely to ever get around to doing. I find these the hardest to deal with, since it’s hard to close them without being unwelcoming. Yet the variety of small features that could theoretically be added is endless, and the project doesn’t gain anything from having an endless list of feature requests in the queue. So I try to deal with them as politely as I can.
Finally, some more refactoring. This time some minor changes, including the way we create forms and render partials. It doesn’t make the website run faster, but it’s less code for developers to read, and means that new developers are likely to see better existing code and make new features more easily. I try to keep creating a better and more enjoyable ‘developer experience’, particularly for new developers who might not be familiar with the tools, in the hope we can attract and retain some more developers.
That’s all for now!